Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Sad News

Sad news on the budgie front today.  I'm not sure if I've mentioned that momma budgie is a bit of a loose woman - her last clutch of three chicks had three different fathers.  :)  On the upside, I'm told they were all very devoted to her during her confinement and that the entire flock was supportive during the time she was rearing their young.  While she's been brooding, I've seen two cocks feeding her - a normal green and a normal blue.  Because of what I was told about this flocks previous behavior however, when I saw two normal green cocks in the nesting box yesterday evening,  I found it unusual but not overly concerning.

When I went to check the nest box this evening I also found it somewhat odd that papa bird didn't bolt out like he usually does.  Momma moved aside and got her scritches, baby looked good with a full crop, but daddy ... didn't move at all?  I gently gave him a scritch and ... nothing.  Daddy was gone.  

As it turns out it wasn't daddy though, daddy is still alive, flying, and feeding momma and the kiddo's.  I took the normal green in to have a vet give me an idea what may have happened (since I don't have much background on any of these birds), and I was told that he most likely died of old age. 

I have to admit I will miss him, sweet little budgie-boy.  He was the only one I had who would step-up.  When I'd reach in to feed them, he'd come over and step-up onto my finger, then run up my arm onto my shoulder and sit there until I had the food ready to put back in.  Then he'd run back down my arm and perch on the edge of the food dish until I had it back in place in the cage so he could be the very first one to eat out of each dish.  It was pretty cute.  I hope he's flying high and happy somewhere in birdy heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment