Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

My first baby budgie!


Today my first baby budgie was hatched!  I really had no idea that it would be there today.  For some reason I expected the baby to be bigger in the shell when I candled it last, but maybe it was so big that I couldn't even tell it was a chick, and the chic I saw moving was actually the youngest of the four rather than the oldest like I thought!  I just have so much to learn it seems like I'll never get a handle on it.

I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for as far as keeping an eye on the baby goes.  Fortunately the hen is an experienced mom so I'm not too worried, I'm sure she'll take care of everything and I'll just learn from her.  :)  I looked at the baby's crop while peeking in and it appeared to be full so I'm confident that it's being fed, at least for now.  The momma bird has gotten pretty used to me peeking in on her a couple of times each day and has even let me start petting her on her head, so I don't think that I'll be causing her any undue stress by continuing to do what I've been doing.

It's my understanding that I should expect a hatchling every other day until all of the eggs are hatched.  I know there are five eggs with one of them being infertile and since I'm not sure where in the series the infertile egg came in, I'll expect that all of the eggs should be hatched by New Year's Day.  Wouldn't it be kind-of fun to have the first baby budgie of 2012? LOL!

I'll keep posting pictures as I get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment