Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas from the Finches!

I woke up this morning to find the tiniest of tiny little eggs in the nest of Mr and Mrs Finch this morning!  I let out a squeal that brought my husband running and even HE was excited!  Mrs Finch was sitting atop that wee little egg so proudly, I just knew that it was a sign of great things to come.

But alas, it was not to be.  I spent Christmas day cleaning out food bins at the store, something that can really only be done on a day that we're closed, and when I returned home later in the afternoon the egg had disappeared.  Seriously.  It was as if it had pulled a Houdini and *POOF*!  It was gone.  No shell fragments, nothing.

The only thing I can think of is that the egg was eaten by either the parents or the other finch couple in the cage.  Either way, I'm a little bit sad.  I was excited about the finch egg!  Now it is no more.  But there will be more finch eggs, I'm sure of it!  And the next eggs will be followed by wee-tiny little baby finches.  And how fun will THAT be?

No comments:

Post a Comment